Life as a Minister
Edward Argar was appointed as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice on 14 June 2018, and was reappointed in July 2019 by the new Prime Minister, Rt Hon Boros Johnson MP.
Previously Edward served as the Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Home Secretary, the Conservative Party Chairman and Education Ministers.
As Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Justice, Edward’s responsibilities include:
- Cross-cutting Criminal Justice System issues
- Criminal Law
- HM Courts & Tribunal Service & HMCTS Reform
- Devolved Administrations & PCC Devolution
- Supporting the Secretary of State on EU exit and International Business
- Human Rights
- Supporting the Secretary of State on Departmental Finances/ Spending Review
- Shadow Commons Minister for Lord Keen's Portfolio
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme
Whilst as a Minister, Edward can no longer participate in backbench business debates or table questions, you can regularly see him at the despatch box for Justice Questions, Oral Statements and policy debates.
Although his role in the Government is a relatively new one, his commitment to the Charnwood constituency has not changed, and he will continue to champion the local issues that matter most and represent the people of Charnwood to the best of his ability.
Please be aware that Edward cannot respond to non-constituents regarding Ministry of Justice related queries via his parliamentary email address/Westminster office address.